Filming and Photography Guidelines for Students
Students are welcome to film/photograph in the library as part of their university studies. Details of how to make a request and information to help you plan your piece can be found below.
Northumbria’s Libraries are busy learning spaces and not all of our customers are comfortable with filming and photography taking place around them. If you would like to use any of our buildings as a location, we ask you to give us at least 24 hours notice during normal working hours (9-5, Mon-Fri) before the filming/photography takes place. This gives us enough time to brief our staff and to put up notices which warn Library users when and where the activity will be taking place.
The Library’s Learning Partnerships team is responsible for coordinating all filming and photography within the Library. To make a request to film/photograph in any of our University Libraries please complete and submit this form. A member of the Learning Partnerships team will get back to you as soon as possible during normal working hours (9-5, Mon-Fri).Please note, if the filming/photography is a course requirement you will need to obtain prior permission from your module tutor. The team consider all requests received, however approval may be subject to the academic calendar (exam periods etc.) and other events already taking place at the requested time/ date.
- Students and other Library users should be respected, and particular care should be taken not to interrupt or disturb their study.
- No students, Library staff or other users should be filmed or photographed without their permission being sought and agreed.
- Filming/photography should be scheduled at quieter times of the day (early morning/late evening), where possible, and not during exam periods. Filming/photography should not capture images which contradict or give a false impression of acceptable library use, for example:
- Don’t show someone using cash to pay for items in the Basement Shop - the shop is ‘Cashless’ (payments can be made by Smartcard, Smartphone or debit card) and so this would give a false impression.
- Don’t depict someone eating hot food in the Library as this is not allowed - cold food and lidded drinks are fine!
Finally, we are proud of our award-winning Libraries, and would like any films or photographs which feature them to represent the choice and variety of learning spaces and to show the buildings and their facilities in a positive light.
Depending on what it is that you would like to photograph/film (and especially if it involves staff and students already working in the Library), a member of the Learning Partnerships team might need to accompany you on the shoot. This is not usually required for basic location filming/photography, unless it is taking place at peak times, i.e. over lunch times.
To help you to find what you need in the library, Library Floor guides can be found at: library.northumbria.ac.uk/info-student. Most areas of our Libraries are suitable for filming/photography, and the Learning Partnerships team can advise on which locations might be best to use, depending on your requirements and the time/day.
Areas unsuitable for filming/photography at City Campus Library:
- Silent areas at the back of Floors 2, 4 and 6
- Research Zone (Floor 1)
Areas unsuitable for filming/photography at Coach Lane Library:
- Silent floor (Floor 1)
- Research Zone (Floor 1)
Areas unsuitable for filming/photography at Law Practice Library:
- Silent study area